1. Прочитати і перекласти.
Born in Paris, the son of a British embassy official, he studied medicine at the request of his family bot he never practiced after completing his internship.
The most peculiar thing about S. Maugham’s works is that the reader can never guess the end of them. That is why they are always read with great interest. Most of S. Maugham’s stories show his good knowledge of ordinary people and his warm sympathy for them.
2. Підготовка до сприймання тексту.
а) Значення та вживання маловідомих слів та виразів;
barrister – advocate , solicitor
councel - Vocar, man of God, padre
make-belive – lie, pretence, untruth
stiffle – airless, very hot, choke, prevent from breathing
luxury  – wealth, rechness…
reproach – criticizm, blame, condemn, find fault with, express one’s dissatisfaction
interfere  – stick one’s nose in…
see to smith – look after, take care of, be responsible for
T: Explain in your own way how you understand the following phrases from the text:
- If I believed in God I’d be a priest
- I naturally expected they’d see to all that at school
- as if he had to make an effort over himself to continue
- I felt a little hero
- When I saw it was all pretence it ruined something in me
- You don’t know the difference between truth and make-believe
- he was expressing something that had burdened him for years
b) Аналіз, пояснення та переклад складних граматичних явищ;
T: Analyze and translate some grammatical phenomenon.
- If I believed in God, I’d be a priest.